Thursday, November 9, 2023, at 6 pm meet outside at Albright Grove to elect next year's Executive Committee members. Grab a beer and then enjoy some fresh pizza delivered from Red Onion Pizza. You buy your drinks and the Club will buy the pizza. Dress to be outdoors.
This is an invitation to the entire membership body.
Albright Grove Brewery: 2924 Sutherland Ave, Knoxville, TN 37919
Please sign up, so we know how much food to have on hand.
The Club has recently gathered nominations for 2024 Chota Canoe Club board members to fill vacancies or for current members to change positions. Terry Ray and Jim Sawyers have offered to join the Executive Committee.
Vacancies and filled Executive Committee positions:
|Secretary||Frankie Burger (open to change)|
|Safety Chair||George Hawkins|
|Touring Coordinators||Gary Kilpatrick & Karen O'Hara|
|Membership Manager (new)||Open|
|Social Chair||Ed McAllister|
|Member At-Large||Blair Fuller|
Excerpts from the Chota Canoe Club Constitution (Read the entire document HERE.)
The Executive Committee shall consist of the President, Vice-President, Secretary, Treasurer, Communications Chairperson, Whitewater Trip Chairperson(s), Touring Trip Chairperson(s), Socials/Program Chairperson, Safety Chairperson, Conservation Chairperson, Member-At-Large, Web Master, and the immediate past President. Officers shall remain in office for one year but may be re-elected.
- A. The PRESIDENT shall preside over the regular meetings of the club, serve as ex-officio member of all committees, represent the club to outside organizations, and attempt to ensure that the wishes of the membership are carried out. The President will be responsible for organizing an indoor roll practice at a designated location, and he/she is also responsible for ensuring each roll practice is staff appropriately.
- B. The VICE-PRESIDENT shall plan, organize, and conduct an annual Canoe & Kayak School. He/she may form committees/teams to assist him/her in planning and executing. He/she also shall assist the president, and in the absence of the President shall assume his/her duties.
- C. The SECRETARY shall keep minutes of the club's meetings, a brief log of club activities, maintain the Constitution and By-Laws, and update membership. A summary of all minutes shall be forwarded to the Web Master on a timely basis.
- D. The TREASURER shall oversee the financial matters of the club, collect dues, and help maintain a club roster of current members. A financial report shall be given to the Executive Committee at every Executive Committee and General Membership meeting.
- E. The COMMUNICATIONS CHAIRPERSON shall be responsible for compiling, organizing, and distributing regular electronic or paper communications to the membership. Communication should be done at a minimum of twice a month. This may include but is not limited to newsletters, emails, Facebook posts, and website posts. He/she may form a committee to assist him/her with any of these tasks.
- F. The TRIP CHAIRPERSONS (whitewater and touring) and his/her committee shall create and publish an annual schedule of whitewater or touring trips of varying degrees of difficulty. The Chairpersons shall find trip leaders for whitewater and touring who will provide descriptions of upcoming trips. The trip descriptions can be sent out by the Chairpersons to members prior to each trip or can be assigned as a task to each appointed trip leader. He/she may form a committee of cruise masters to assist him/her with any of these tasks.
- G. The SOCIALS/PROGRAM CHAIRPERSON shall be responsible for planning and arranging outings, social functions not necessarily involving canoe trips, and special programs at regular meetings.
- H. The SAFETY CHAIRPERSON shall provide the club with safety awareness and devise seminars and other methods to practice safety techniques.
- I. The CONSERVATION CHAIRPERSON shall inform the membership on conservation issues and shall represent the club on such issues. He/she shall promote and coordinate club involvement in conservation activities.
- J. The MEMBER-AT-LARGE shall do any jobs requested by the President.
- K. The WEB MASTER shall be in charge of Web page maintenance and email communication.