Wednesday, October 18, 2023, at 6 pm meet at Albright Grove to nominate next year's Executive Committee members. Grab a beer and then enjoy some fresh pizza delivered from Red Onion Pizza. You buy your drinks and the Club will buy the pizza. Bring your throw rope; there might be a land-based small competition after dinner!
This is an invitation to the entire membership body.
Albright Grove Brewery: 2924 Sutherland Ave, Knoxville, TN 37919
Please sign up, so we know how much food to have on hand. Unable to come in person? Send us an email at firstname.lastname@example.org if you'd like to volunteer or nominate someone.
The Club needs your nominations for Chota Canoe Club board members. You may volunteer for a position, or nominate someone for a position, and then in late October, we will vote. Some current volunteer board members are going to pursue other opportunities not as board members and some members want to change role.
Curious about the work current board members do? Contact them! There is a list at the end of this message. Use Facebook Messenger or email the Club to be connected. Even if someone has a position for 2023, they may be ready for a change, thus all positions are open for you to volunteer or to nominate someone.
The current Executive Committee members meet the first Thursday of the month at 6 pm at River Sports Outfitters Warehouse store. We try to keep the meeting to one hour of business. There is almost always an option to join by Zoom when it is inconvenient to come in person. However, in-person meetings are preferred. Once the new Committee is in place, the group may change the meeting date, time, and location to suit.
Excerpts from the Chota Canoe Club Constitution (Read the entire document HERE.)
The Executive Committee shall consist of the President, Vice-President, Secretary, Treasurer, Communications Chairperson, Whitewater Trip Chairperson(s), Touring Trip Chairperson(s), Socials/Program Chairperson, Safety Chairperson, Conservation Chairperson, Member-At-Large, Web Master, and the immediate past President. Officers shall remain in office for one year but may be re-elected.
- A. The PRESIDENT shall preside over the regular meetings of the club, serve as ex-officio member of all committees, represent the club to outside organizations, and attempt to ensure that the wishes of the membership are carried out. The President will be responsible for organizing an indoor roll practice at a designated location, and he/she is also responsible for ensuring each roll practice is staff appropriately.
- B. The VICE-PRESIDENT shall plan, organize, and conduct an annual Canoe & Kayak School. He/she may form committees/teams to assist him/her in planning and executing. He/she also shall assist the president, and in the absence of the President shall assume his/her duties.
- C. The SECRETARY shall keep minutes of the club's meetings, a brief log of club activities, maintain the Constitution and By-Laws, and update membership. A summary of all minutes shall be forwarded to the Web Master on a timely basis.
- D. The TREASURER shall oversee the financial matters of the club, collect dues, and help maintain a club roster of current members. A financial report shall be given to the Executive Committee at every Executive Committee and General Membership meeting.
- E. The COMMUNICATIONS CHAIRPERSON shall be responsible for compiling, organizing, and distributing regular electronic or paper communications to the membership. Communication should be done at a minimum of twice a month. This may include but is not limited to newsletters, emails, Facebook posts, and website posts. He/she may form a committee to assist him/her with any of these tasks.
- F. The TRIP CHAIRPERSONS (whitewater and touring) and his/her committee shall create and publish an annual schedule of whitewater or touring trips of varying degrees of difficulty. The Chairpersons shall find trip leaders for whitewater and touring who will provide descriptions of upcoming trips. The trip descriptions can be sent out by the Chairpersons to members prior to each trip or can be assigned as a task to each appointed trip leader. He/she may form a committee of cruise masters to assist him/her with any of these tasks.
- G. The SOCIALS/PROGRAM CHAIRPERSON shall be responsible for planning and arranging outings, social functions not necessarily involving canoe trips, and special programs at regular meetings.
- H. The SAFETY CHAIRPERSON shall provide the club with safety awareness and devise seminars and other methods to practice safety techniques.
- I. The CONSERVATION CHAIRPERSON shall inform the membership on conservation issues and shall represent the club on such issues. He/she shall promote and coordinate club involvement in conservation activities.
- J. The MEMBER-AT-LARGE shall do any jobs requested by the President.
- K. The WEB MASTER shall be in charge of Web page maintenance and email communication.
Current Executive Committee Members:
|Safety Chairs||George Hawkins & Katrina Easton|
|Touring Coordinators||Gary Kilpatrick & Karen O'Hara|
|Social Chair||Ed McAllister|
|Member At-Large||Blair Fuller|